Thursday, June 8, 2017

Curried Red Lentil Veggie Soup

Late nights working at my computer are sadly something that happens too often. Every now and then, I feel like having a little snack to tide me over and tonight, this is what I chose. A thick soup with red lentils cauliflower, carrots and sweet potatoes. Add ginger, garlic and curry, and oh, what a treat.


Curried Red Lentil Veggie Soup

1 cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
4 carrots, thinly sliced
1 sweet potato, cubed
2 cups of red lentils
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1-inch chunk of fresh ginger
curry powder (I use Simply Organic) but like to change once in a while to try different blends.
veggie broth, OR powder or vegetable broth cubes (enough to fit your pot size)
water

Preparation:

Dice the onion, crush the garlic and finely grate the ginger. (I have this old ginger peeler grater Yukie, a Japanese exchange student, gave me 20 years ago...hoping it lasts another 20 years).

Saute onion lightly until transparent.

Add salt and curry powder, then garlic and ginger.

Before the garlic and ginger start to stick to the bottom of the pot, add the other veggies and fill the pot with water and vegetable broth powder (cubes) or veggie broth.

Once the broth comes to a boil, add the lentils and lower the heat.

Let simmer until the vegetables are tender. The lentils will be done by then.

Add salt, pepper and curry powder to taste.
You can always use powdered garlic and ginger in a pinch, but I always have fresh on hand.

Until I had this soup, I was not a fan of curry. Now, I have several dishes that call for curry, and I am happy to say, bring it on. I love it. The blend of curry, garlic and ginger is heavenly.



No comments:

Post a Comment