Monday, June 19, 2017

Vegan Pad Thai

This is another family favourite that I am excited to share with you. What I love about this recipe, is that aside from lightly sauteing the onions, I add my veggies into the mix raw, stir to warm them and serve. My family gets the benefits of raw food, bursting with the enzymes and nutrients without even realising they're eating raw.



There are no peanuts in the picture, simply because I forgot to add them before I took the picture. I usually put a bowl with spices, another with peanuts and yet another with extra cilantro and shallots for those who would like to add them to their plate.

So let's get on with the recipe! Oh, normally I would have used a red pepper, but my grocery guys were out and only had orange ones, so the colour is not as pretty as it could have been.

Ingredients:

1/2 package of rice noodles (not the vermicelli)

2 zucchinis
2 carrots
1 red pepper
1 large onion
4 shallots
1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
chopped peanuts
1 lime

Sauce:

1 mushroom broth cube (I use Go Bio)
1 veggie broth cube (or 2 Tbsp)
3 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp Tamari sauce (I use San-j -gluten free)
1/4 tsp sriracha powdered spice

Instructions:

Heat water in a pot until boiling. Remove from heat, place the rice noodles into the water and let sit.
When they have reached the desired tenderness, drain and rinse. Set aside.

While the noodles soak, thinly slice the onion into perfect slices (as though you wanted onion rings), and then cut a line from the centre of the onion out. This will give long, thin strips of onion. Set aside.

I use a mandoline to make 'noodles' out of my carrots and zucchinis. You could use a spiralizer too, but the mandoline makes vermicelli sized noodles. Put the 'noodles' in a separate bowl.
Thinly slice the pepper and add them to the carrot, zucchini bowl. The zucchini noodle will blend right into the rice noodles, you won't even know they're there. I do not peel my zucchini.

Chop the cilantro and the shallots, place in a small bowl.
Chop the peanuts and place in yet another small bowl.
Slice the lime into wedges.

To make the sauce, place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.

Saute the onion until transparent. Pour the sauce mixture over the onions and heat until bubbles start to form. Add the noodles and toss to coat.

Add the carrot, zucchini and peppers. Mix well, remove from heat and cover the pot for a few minutes.

Sprinkle with cilantro, shallots, peanuts and more spice if you so desire.
Yields 4 large portions. (more than enough for us, 3 adults and 2 children.)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment